Sunday, July 28, 2013

Fashion in Motion at the office

Mellow yellow this is not. You're looking at the brightest dress on the street and in the halls at CBC's HQ. It's a fab vintage number that I found at Persepone Vintage on Etsy



Mellow yellow this is not. You're looking at the brightest dress on the street and in the halls at CBC's HQ. It's a fab vintage number that I found at Persephone Vintage on Etsy and I'm wearing it with green suede wedge lace-up espadrilles and my trusty (ha! never on time) Target watch, white pearl earrings



Folks, it's been a busy sprint to the summer with many uninspired pre-summer looks. I didn't really bother picking up too many new things- spring is a tricky season for me and I've never invested heavily in it.



Instead I used the time to surf summer garb by night and by day, wore the same ol' layers to my regular clothes and stretched the use of my grey opaque tights. I threw on my sailor-striped scarf to freshen up the looks and with a pink lip to brighten my complexion, I was waiting for summer.



And here it is- at last. I have been very excited to show you and my office mates my new threads that came home while spring dragged on, and also my 'old' threads that I've kept over the years. It turns out that many of my pieces just weren't interesting me anymore, or didn't fit and I wasn't feeling up to having them altered (lazy, I know). Add that to a seasonal closet purge and it looked like I made room for a few new things.



Finally - the heat is on! Summer has landed.



I'm lucky to be able to cycle to work every day and while I love riding in a dress, some pencil skirts just don't allow a lot of movement on the bike (I ride a men's frame with the bar in between my legs, so not a skirting advantage. I've done a superman outfit change on arrival on a few occasions.



Today I want to show you one of my very first vintage purchases online- a lovely canary yellow dress by Nina Piccolino that I found at Persephone Vintage on Etsy.



I fell in love with this dress right away, and it's easy to see why. This is what the post looked like:


The description: vintage 80s deadstock yellow midi sun dress with wrap-style deep v pleated bodice. matching belt. full skirt. pockets at waist. (050d) fabric: rayon, acetate condition: excellent size: tag 10, fits like a medium - large (please check measurements for accuracy) (not pinned)



The description: "Vintage 80s deadstock yellow midi sun dress with wrap-style deep v pleated bodice. matching belt. full skirt. pockets at waist. fabric: rayon, acetate condition: excellent
size: tag 10, fits like a medium - large (not pinned)"



Actually, to be honest, I fell in love with the belt.



One thing you learn very quickly when studying the vintage is how important and desirable it is to have the garment's original matching belt. And what a belt:


Isn't it amazing? The belt is about 4 inches wide I kid not



Isn't it amazing? The belt is about 4 inches wide. Sure keeps me sitting straight



I also went really crazy about the very deep V cut in the front- it's just so sexy and with all those lovely pleats dropping down from the shoulders, and then from the waist- genius. The length is significant and you really need some height on your frame to pull off a midi length (official fashion language).



It's incredible what an iPad can do (it made me into a full-own vintage browser/consumer) and what I've learned doing all these searches for random vintage clothes. For one, I discovered people's interests in a most interesting way. When you're looking at a vintage shop, it's a curated gallery and not everyone is stocking '50s full-skirted situations. There are shopkeepers like Perpephone's Susan, who seems to have a thing for '80s minimalist, deconstructed shapes, although she'll dip into other decades, too. This isn't the '80s you thought you knew- or at least, most of it might feel intriguing. When grouped like this, the shop is a capsule of so many ideas.



Take a look at a few things up for sale right now:



Persephone 1


Persephone 2


Persephone 3




Cool, huh.



And so very fascinating to peer into someone else's thought-provoking closet.



Photo of me by me, other pics courtesy of Persephone Vintage.





No comments:

Post a Comment